Monday, January 3, 2011

2010 Secret Santa Haul


So this year was the first year I participated in the BA secret santa BIF. This turned out to be a really large BIF with over 150 people participating and the people running it ran it really well. The box that was shipped to me made it in a few weeks ago, but with the holidays I haven't been able to try many of the gems in this bunch yet. Here's the line up: Surly Coffee Bender, Surly Furious, Surly Cynic, Surly Smoke, Central Waters Coffeehouse Stout, Founder's Nemesis 2010, Three Floyds Alpha King, Three Floyds Dreadnaught, Three Floyds Artic Panzer Wolf, Three Floyds Apocaplyse Cow, Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout, New Glarus Raspberry Tart, New Glarus Wisconsin Red, New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat, Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Wild, and Great Divide Smoked Baltic Porter. I'm really looking forward to getting through these and since there's a lot of hop monsters in here I plan on doing that pretty shortly.

Since I have cracked a few of these open already here are some brief opinions on the ones I've had so far.

Three Floyds Alpha King: This was a pretty malty american pale ale. The caramel flavors overpowered a nice hop profile. I was fairly disappointed by this beer, it really isn't something I would go hunting for in the future, but was a pleasure to try since Three Floyd beers are hard to come by in CT.

Surly Coffee Bender: Wow this was a really nice beer. It tastes like a blend of ice coffee and beer which is a combination made in heaven. I had the pleasure of drinking a can of this a few weeks ago since it was added an in extra in a trade and I couldn't wait to open this can.

Laguantas A Little Sumpin' Wild: A pretty interesting beer that becomes more and more complex as it warms. A little sumpin' sumpin' is a pretty impressive beer all by itself, but the wild yeast really added some complex yeast flavors. This wasn't a sour bomb by any means, but it came off as more of a well done Belgian IPA.

Three Floyds Artic Panzer Wolf: I'll start by saying I enjoy this beer a lot more than Dreadnaught. It has more of a west coast IPA flair. Lighter on the malt with high bitterness and lots hop flavor. I thought it was a little h

No comments:

Post a Comment